in

Strangeland and how it's effected me.

Last post 01-02-2013 8:43 AM by annaonweb. 54 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (55 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-20-2012 6:31 PM

• fcuk81
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-20-2012
    • Posts 3

Strangeland and how it's effected me.

Having been a massive fan since Hopes & Fears, I was so looking forward to Strangeland. Three days before the album release my wife decided she wanted to leave me. Its been a hard few weeks. Listening to the new album has been very hard for me. 5 or 6 of the tracks lyrics are exactly how I feel at the moment. You always associate music with things that have happened at that time in your life (I met my wife when Hopes & Fears was released). This is probably the reason that in 5/10 years when I will listen to these tracks, it will still bring back the memories I'm feeling now.

Despite all this, I still love the album. The more I listen the easier it becomes.

Keep up the good work.

• 05-20-2012 7:07 PM In reply to

• Jules C
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2011
    • On a Day Like Today
    • Posts 4,902

Re: Strangeland and how it's effected me.

Hi fcuk81, welcome from me, JulesSmile

I'm so sorry, you must going through a tough time? I do know what you mean about listening to Keane though as i bought H&F the day after my mum died in 2004 and mad as it sounds, the album helped me through the pain and grief so much. Yeah it hurt like hell but the tracks on that album are so beautiful and i played them over and over and i've loved Keane ever since. I can see what you mean about Strangeland, i hope things do get better for you. Take care and keep listeningBig Smile

On A Day Like Today-We've Been Disconnected Somehow-Now There's Nothing Left To Say
  • 05-20-2012 7:31 PM In reply to

fcuk81:

[...] Three days before the album release my wife decided she wanted to leave me. Its been a hard few weeks. Listening to the new album has been very hard for me.

Well, I think that there's no word than I can say that can help in anything. I only can say that I was blowed by your story. I believe it's a really hard moment in your life and I hope you find serenity.

fcuk81:

[...] 5 or 6 of the tracks lyrics are exactly how I feel at the moment. You always associate music with things that have happened at that time in your life (I met my wife when Hopes & Fears was released). This is probably the reason that in 5/10 years when I will listen to these tracks, it will still bring back the memories I'm feeling now.

Despite all this, I still love the album. The more I listen the easier it becomes.

It's the same to me, I always feel connected with Keane's music. Sometimes it seems that the lyrics are written specifically to me, as if someone was saying what is happening in the depths of my soul, the things that I can't say by myself.

That's it. I hope that better days come to you.

• 05-20-2012 7:53 PM In reply to

Isn't that a mark of genius, to write songs that make us feel as though they speak to us directly about our own lives?

Don't change the things you do; just stay as you are
  • 05-20-2012 8:16 PM In reply to

fcuk81, I am very touched by your story and truly sorry for what you are going through as well. All I can say is that I can understand what you mean by associating yourself with Keane's lyrics.  I lost my husband almost 4 years ago and discovering Keane's music has helped me to deal with and examine those feelings and emotions.  Like all of you have said, it is truly genius how their lyrics feel like they are just reaching down into your own soul and speaking directly to you. Their songs have been a huge comfort to me and I hope they will be to you as well. Take care and I hope you find peace and comfort.

There's no map to guide our way
  • 05-20-2012 9:31 PM In reply to

• Jules C
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2011
    • On a Day Like Today
    • Posts 4,902

Totally agree with all of your posts! Keane are the best for reaching out to you in times of sadness as well as bringing joy in the up-beat songs The best way for me personally to describe what Keane do for me, is to say, that they throw me a *lifeline* when i need it. Smile
    On A Day Like Today-We've Been Disconnected Somehow-Now There's Nothing Left To Say
  • 05-21-2012 9:02 PM In reply to

fcuk81:

Its been a hard few weeks.

• 05-23-2012 10:57 AM In reply to

• fcuk81
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-20-2012
    • Posts 3

Thanks for all the kind words. Trying to cope. Failing miserably.
  • 05-23-2012 2:03 PM In reply to

It's probably a bit early to be coping. If you're trying to get on with your usual life (and even if you aren't), you can never tell when something trivial will trigger painful thoughts and memories. At least with music you can do some controlled, private grieving for the loss of your old life.

Don't change the things you do; just stay as you are
  • 05-23-2012 2:35 PM In reply to

• Jules C
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2011
    • On a Day Like Today
    • Posts 4,902

fcuk81:

But at least you are trying fcuk81 and hopefully the music will be some comfort to you. Take care.

• 05-23-2012 9:28 PM In reply to

fcuk81:

It's difficult to cope in your situation, it's too soon. But... Try to use music as a medicine for your soul, let the time pass and let your life take its way. Some people say that time heals everything. I can't say that I agree with them. I think time doesn't heal everything, but I have no doubts that it helps. One day you'll open your eyes and you'll have the scar, the mark of what happened, but it won't hurt like when you had the open wound. Carry on. Be strong. And take care.

"The ground is uneven

We stumble from day to day

But shelter where it's easy

I know your feet are like lead

But you've got to get underway.

Drag your heart up to the starting line,

Forget the ghosts that make you old before your time."

• 05-24-2012 9:58 AM In reply to

• Jules C
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2011
    • On a Day Like Today
    • Posts 4,902

I agree with you there Brisa; well meaning and kind people said to me after my mum died, time will heal all your grief and you'll get over it. If i'm being very honest, i never have and the grief still hits me bad even after 8 years but i have learned how to live with it and how to cope with the rough times.

Listening to Keane is like *the* best for me as all i need is in the lyrics of the songs.Smile xx

• 05-25-2012 6:49 AM In reply to

My heart truly goes out to you, fcuk81. Though our situations are different, I do understand where you're at right now.  For the longest time I struggled to 'find normal'....but 'normal' didn't exist anymore. Over time I had to find a 'new' normal.  For the sake of my three kids I had to almost *physically* pull myself up and keep going everyday.....much like Tim so eloquently describes in The Starting Line (and Brisa pointed out Wink).  For me, surrounding myself with close friends and family was what helped the most.  For the longest time I couldn't even listen to music because it was too painful.  But now, almost 4 years later, I'm finally starting to open my heart again, and find passion in music again. And discovering Keane almost 3 months ago had a very large part in that for me.  I agree with Jules and Brisa, time won't necessarily heal the pain, but in time it will become less jagged around the edges and soften a bit.  All the best to you,

Chris

• 05-25-2012 2:28 PM In reply to

I'm really touched by all of your stories, Fcuk81, Miklyssary and Jules. I admire your courage and strength to overcome your problems. Take care, all of you.
  • 05-25-2012 5:47 PM In reply to

• Jules C
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2011
    • On a Day Like Today
    • Posts 4,902

Brisa:
    I'm really touched by all of your stories, Fcuk81, Miklyssary and Jules. I admire your courage and strength to overcome your problems. Take care, all of you.

Oh Brisa, thank you thats so lovely of youSmile This is one of the reasons i love the forum so much, meeting you all and being able to chat, thanks everyoneBig Smile

• 05-25-2012 9:17 PM In reply to

Jules C:

Oh Brisa, thank you thats so lovely of youSmile This is one of the reasons i love the forum so much, meeting you all and being able to chat, thanks everyoneBig Smile

I'm really enjoying the Forum! Now I can't understand why it took me so long to join in! It has been a great experience to talk with allof you and share so many things!

Thanks everyone for receiving me so well! It's been a pleasure to meet all of you! Smile

• 05-25-2012 9:27 PM In reply to

Brisa:
    Jules C:

I'm really enjoying the Forum! Now I can't understand why it took me so long to join in! It has been a great experience to talk with allof you and share so many things!

Thanks everyone for receiving me so well! It's been a pleasure to meet all of you! Smile

I feel the same way! Smile
  • 06-05-2012 5:00 PM In reply to

Fcuk81, Miklyssary and Jules, I know how difficult it is dealing with loss whether it be the end of a relationship/friendship or bereavement.  I lost my father three years ago, their were several bereavements in the family around that time so it was extremely difficult time.  It takes a long time to accept a loss and I'm sure you identify with this, I have held on to being very grateful for what I still have, I even go over everything in my head over and over when life is driving me nuts! 

I too find that Keane's lyrics speak to me as though they could be written about me, it is the magic Keane effect.  There have been times in my life when I have felt like just hiding away forever and I have the lyrics 'I lost my heart, I buried it too deep, under the iron sea' in my head over and over and I always end up thinking no, I ain't going to do that, get out there and live girl!

Anyway, hope that's not too deep and meaningful for everyone!  I wish you well.

Helen 

• 06-05-2012 6:35 PM In reply to

• Jules C
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2011
    • On a Day Like Today
    • Posts 4,902

Helen thank you so much for your really lovely post. Like you say, loss is very difficult to deal with and sometimes i feel just like you; i could quite easily just disappear from everything and everyone! I turn to Keane when things are tough for me; it worked for me when my mum died and now when i feel down/upset/frustrated with what life throws at me i find something in their music that gets me through.

You are so right and i much admire you for saying 'get out there and live girl!' I like that and i shall keep that in mind. I wish you well too, take care.

Jules

• 06-05-2012 6:51 PM In reply to

Helen, thank you so much for your kind words and I'm sorry for your loss, too.  Yes, there have been times where I just wanted to hide myself away, that's for sure!  Having my three kids and a wonderful supportive family was definitely what kept me going and I'm so thankful for them. And it's amazing what Keane and their wonderful music has brought into my life. I felt like the lyrics were just reaching right into my heart and speaking directly to me! You're right...the magic Keane effect!! I have a passion for music...and even life... again, and it feels really good Smile I wish you well, too...and thank you. Smile

fcuk81, I'm thinking of you and hope you are doing okay...hang in there!

Page 1 of 3 (55 items) 1 2 3 Next >