in

KANSAS CITY.....JANUARY 20th

Last post 02-03-2013 1:52 PM by .:lizzy:.. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-22-2012 2:30 AM

• lindasminda
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-21-2008
    • really joined 6/2005 ARKANSAS
    • Posts 74

KANSAS CITY.....JANUARY 20th

I'm goin' to Kansas City........Kansas City here I come !!!!  

Who all is going ? Anyone want to meet up ?  

I was surprised that it is only a 3 hour drive from here in Northwest Arkansas.  Dallas is 5 hours.  Wish I could do both !!!!!  I read reviews on Midland Theater, and they sure didn't give ANY good reviews.  BUT..........WHATEVER...... All I care about is FINALLY seeing KEANE !!!!

YEEEEE HAAAAAAGeeked

Sometimes, one must travel the rough road in order to reach one's ultimate destination.
  • 11-06-2012 4:17 AM In reply to

• ohiofan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-01-2008
    • Ohio. Joined May 2005
    • Posts 152

Re: KANSAS CITY.....JANUARY 20th

Hello Linda!  So glad to hear that you will FINALLY get to see Keane live!!!!!!!  YAY!!!!!! Party!!!

I will be seeing them in Columbus.

~ Janel
    Cleveland 2/05 & 5/05, Atlanta & St. Louis 9/05, Chicago 6/06, Philly 5/07, Cleveland 5/09, Kitchener 9/09, Bethesda 6/12, Columbus 1/13, next date tba!
  • 11-06-2012 6:00 PM In reply to

Linda,

Are you the same gal that used to post pictures of her cat dressed in various costumes? If so, they were so sweet!

I am a first time cat owner (a year in December). They are so enjoyable!

You guys have fun at the show - I'll be at the one in Atlanta.

Jennifer 

"...to remain silent and indifferent is the greatest sin of all..." ~ Elie Wiesel
  • 12-24-2012 9:41 AM In reply to

Hi Linda!!

I'll be going to Kansas City (and Dallas) as well, flying from Colorado!!  The reviews I read for the Midland weren't too bad...I know it had a renovation a few years back, maybe the reviews you read were from before they remodeled it??  Even if it is not the greatest place, as you said, it doesn't really matter as long as we get to see Keane!  I saw them in Denver and Salt Lake this past summer, and they were amazing - you won't be disappointed!! 

Was it all in real time, or was it just in my mind?...Forget the ghosts that make you old before your time...
  • 01-18-2013 7:31 AM In reply to

Hi!  Hope you all have an amazing time! I'm sure that you will!  Take care on your travels.

Tracey xx

• 01-23-2013 2:05 AM In reply to

tkcherry:

Hi!  Hope you all have an amazing time! I'm sure that you will!  Take care on your travels.

Tracey xx

Thank you Tracey, it was amazing!!! 

Was it all in real time, or was it just in my mind?...Forget the ghosts that make you old before your time...
  • 01-23-2013 4:20 AM In reply to

Hi everyone!!  Well it's been a couple of days since the gig and with school starting back up, I thought I'd better write my review before I start forgetting all the specifics!!  To start, the venue, called the Midland Theatre, was amazingly beautiful!!!  While waiting in line some people told me that it used to be terrible and at one point was set to be demolished, but the city decided to restore it instead.  Thank goodness they did!  I got to the venue around 2:30pm, expecting there to already be at least a few people there since there had been at that time in Dallas.  Turns out I was in for a long wait by myself!!  It was quite cold and cloudy, which must have been what kept people away until later.  I had a few people walk by and give me strange looks for sitting on the sidewalk in the cold by myself, but I didn't care!!  Part of me had hoped that maybe if I stood out there long enough the people I could see inside would take pity on me and let me in, but that never happened! Smile  

While standing by the main entrance a taxi pulled up and I didn't really think much of it, but then out comes Jesse!!  I said a quick hello to him and he said hello back and continued on with wherever he was headed.  He looked to be in a hurry (probably just because it was cold!) so I decided I wouldn't try to hold him up by talking with him.  It was probably well after 4pm by the time anyone else showed up, I was so relieved to have someone to talk with to distract me from being cold!  Around that time we could hear the soundcheck going on inside with the usual songs...but I was surprised to hear them play one they haven't in awhile as far as I know - 'The Frog Prince'.  Since I couldn't hear very well through the doors, I don't know if that was a part of the soundcheck, or just an extra one they decided to practice to maybe incorporate into the setlist at some point in the future. 

When we finally got let in around 7pm I was reaching my breaking point with the cold - I don't know how much longer I would have lasted.  I was the first one in the doors and quickly headed down to the stage and got a spot in the front row again, right in front of Tom!!  There were already some other people there when I got down there - not sure if they were a part of some kind of radio deal thing or had some kind of special ticket, but they were all more on Tim's side of the stage. 

The opening act, Youngblood Hawke, were ok again, and didn't seem quite as loud as they had been in Dallas, though I'm not sure if that's because the volume really was lower or because of the hearing loss I had undoubtedly incurred seeing them a few nights before.  As always, when Keane finally came out, time flew by so much faster than I wanted it to!!  I think the setlist was pretty much identical to the one in Dallas, which is fine with me as I love all Keane songs no matter how many times I've heard them before.  It's probably not realistic for them to change it too much from night to night anyways as I imagine it is difficult to practice different songs enough to perform different ones each night.  Jesse finally ventured one time to the edge of the stage, but other than that stayed put in his usual spot.  Richard was again blocked from my view, this time by Tom (I can't really complain about that can I?) and at one point stated his satisfaction with the macaroni and cheese at a local Kansas City restaurant, so it was nice to hear him chime in with something!  Tom and Tim (and Richard and Jesse) were in their usual perfect form - no complaints from me!!  It was really surreal for me to be so close to Tom - with the only negative being that when a spotlight from behind him shined down it made it kind of difficult to see him and the way he holds the microphone sort of blocks his face, but really those are minor things and there is no better spot to be in my opinion!

The atmosphere felt somewhat less intense than in Dallas - not sure if was becaue the venue was much more vast and taller, or if it was not as good of a crowd - the first row is always exciting though, most people up there seemed really into it to me.  There was an entire balcony that was roped off and had nobody on it, which seemed sort of odd, but maybe they just wanted to sell GA floor tickets and not even try to fill the balcony.  I was able to take a few short video clips during a few songs, but unfortunately may have ruined them myself!!  I thought if I couldn't hear myself singing then surely my camera wouldn't pick my voice up either, but oh how wrong was I!!! Indifferent Embarrassed Embarrassed  I guess I will have to watch them with the volume off or turned way down, lol!!  I got some more great pictures though which you can view here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/82258695@N04/sets/72157632591424992/.  

After it was all over they were pretty quick to start yelling at us to get out, but I stood by the barrier a while longer to see if I might luck out and get something llike a guitar pick or setlist.  There were some people there who I could tell were starting to annoy the crew so I decided to do the opposite and stand there quietly and eventually made eye contact with one of them and he turned around, picked up Tom's setlist, and gave it to me!!  I was so thankful - I NEVER thought I'd end up with a setlist, much less Tom's!!  So thank you to the guy who gave it to me (even though you probably won't ever read this) you have no idea how much it means to me!!     

I decided to wait afterwards again since I hadn't met Tom and Jesse in Dallas, and wanted to have them all sign the setlist.  There were WAY more people waiting outside there than in Dallas, which was surprising because of the cold.  We were all crammed onto a sidewalk between one of their buses and the venue, with only a few people being able to be up front at a time.  They made us get in a single file line, which didn't really happen, but we tried at least.  We were told that they were all going to come out and try to sign things for everybody, but it turns out that only Tim, Jesse, and Tom came out.  The supposed "single file line" quickly dissapeared into a mass of people and the people up front didn't move out of the way at all.  I was able to get myself up to the far corner and had another picture taken with Tim and had him sign the setlist as well.  Just like in Dallas, I couldn't quite seem to get my brain to get my mouth to say anything I had planned on saying, but oh well, there's no going back now!  By the time I had made my way to Tim, Jesse had already gone on the bus, so I missed out on having him sign anything.  Tom came out a few minutes later, and since I was told to move back so other people could get to Tim, I had to fight the crowd to get near the front again.  Tom was out there a really short period of time and took no photos - he only signed things.  Just as I had gotten myself close enough and was about ready to try and hand him the setlist to sign he said "that's it guys" and took off onto the bus.  I was SO devastated and couldn't believe I had such TERRIBLE timing with it!!!  Just a few more seconds and it would have worked out!!  I guess I'll have to try and bring that setlist next time I see them and hope they will all sign it then!   

It's such a terrible feeling knowing that it's all over - I've never felt so at home with a group of people than I have with Keane fans.  Also, the PURE happiness that Keane concerts bring me is something that I have yet to find anywhere else in life - everything else pales in comparison.  Thank you to Keane and all the Keane fans I met for such an amazing time!!  I'll never forget it!  Maybe I'll see you all 'On the Road' next time they tour the US!! Wink    

So sorry to everyone for writing such a LONG review!!  And on the off chance you're on here...hello to Audrey, Peter, (I hope I remembered your names right) and the others who I waited in line with - wish we hadn't gotten seperated - I hope you guys had a great time!! Smile

• 01-24-2013 3:08 AM In reply to

• cofirst
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-27-2012
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 122

Kari! Amazing photos again!! I LOVE the photo of Tom sitting at the mellotron ( for Hamburg song, again no doubt) . Great review too!!
    Now we feel like strangers in our own land
  • 01-25-2013 5:16 AM In reply to

Thanks for the great review, Kari!! I'm SO THRILLED for you that you got front row!! How amazing to be that close to Tom!!!! Stick out tongue AND you got his setlist!! WOW!!!  And thank you for sharing your pictures, they are FANTASTIC!! Big Smile (I love that one, too, Corinne! Big Smile)

There's no map to guide our way
  • 01-25-2013 8:30 AM In reply to

Hello, Kari! Good morning!

Thanks for the blow-by-blow review! Big Smile OMG! I reckon I would turn into a mute and silly person in front of Tim. You, guys, just made me re-check my bucket list again. I am a travel freak hence i'm considering of putting "watch a KEANE show before I die" here in Belgium. I just hope it won't be during winter, heheheh, waiting outside in the cold would be terrible but if my daughter and my bestfriend will be there with me,,,I reckon everything will be fine. Yeah, I truly believe Keane fans have the mos amazing fans in the world cuz I told my hubby that I'll be singing with them should I be watching them in one of their gigs and he said,"the person next to you, sweety, will be pissed." And my daughter added, "Tom would not like it, Mama, cuz you're always out of tune." LOL Oh dear! But I'm sure as hell Tim will greatly appreciate it that I know most of their songs by heart, right girls?

Take care, Kari!

Hi, JUles!

Each heart is a paper kite blown around by the breeze
    Love won't rest till it brings you to your knees
    Some find it easy, some will never even know......
  • 01-25-2013 8:43 AM In reply to

• Jules C
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2011
    • On a Day Like Today
    • Posts 4,902

Oh Kari, thanks for such a great review! I actually felt like i was standing there with you! I'm thrilled you got to the front row and to have Tom's setlist, WOW!! Such a shame about missing Tom again after the gig but put it on your list for next time! I can't imagine how cold you must have been standing outside for that long? But so worth it though. Thanks so much for posting your thoughts and feelings, it's fantastic for me to read because i 'do' feel like i went to the gig too! I'm so glad you had two wonderful gigs and here's to the next US Tour Drinks.

Jules xxx

On A Day Like Today-We've Been Disconnected Somehow-Now There's Nothing Left To Say
  • 01-25-2013 8:43 AM In reply to

• Jules C
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2011
    • On a Day Like Today
    • Posts 4,902

Hi anouk23, how are you my friend?

Jules xxx

On A Day Like Today-We've Been Disconnected Somehow-Now There's Nothing Left To Say
  • 01-25-2013 1:14 PM In reply to

HI Kari,  Thank you so much for writing such an excellent review.  I felt like I was there too!  Your photos are amazing, they are so clear and you have captured the moment so many times with them, thank you for sharing them with us.  I'm so happy that you had such a great time, its fantastic that you go Tom's Setlist! WOW!!    I'm sorry that you just missed out on meeting Tom and getting you Setlist signed by Tom.  You did so well to stand for so long in the freezing cold!  I can't even imagine the sort of temperatures you stood there in, I was frozen in the UK waiting for Keane, and I can probably guess right that temperatures where you were that day/night were far colder than that!!  I was so relieved when you said that you got the perfect spot infront of Tom!! WOW!!!   Thank you again for your wonderful review! xx

• 01-25-2013 9:40 PM In reply to

• sparrow
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-09-2012
    • Salisbury,UK
    • Posts 133

Hi Kari!!!

I'm Sooooooo sorry that this is so late, but I just wanted to thank you soooooo much for taking the time to write such AMAZING reviews!!!!! It almost feels like I was with you from beginning to end......FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! You saw Jesse.....Yay!!!!!!........AND you were in FRONT of MR. GORGEOUS himself *Swoons MANY times* !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND the SETLIST!!!!!!!!!!!! Such a shame that Tom didn't hang a few seconds more....but as you say, there is always next time!!! I really don't think that they will leave it 4 years again before a new album/tour.....Tim has all those unused songs that he wrote for Strangeland.......surely he will want to do SOMETHING with them???!!! It all sounds like such an amazing night, Kari......I'm sooooo glad that you felt so at home with all the fellow Keane fans and that you had such a good time and were able to tell us all about it.......I appreciate it SOOOOOO much, even if it has taken me a while to tell you!!!!!!!!!!! Oh.......and your photos...........TO DIE FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are sooooooo professional, Kari!!!!!!!!! I love them all.......BUT there is ONE in particular that I ABSOLUTELY ADORE!!!!!!!.............The one of justTom singing, with the Strangeland sign  just above him......but if you look at it, you can only see my name....Angela.....ALL the other letters are hidden from view!!!!!!!!!!! That is SUCH a special photo to me Kari!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for posting it.....I know that it sounds stupid, and it's just coincidence, but it feels like Keane are reaching out to me again through your photo!!!!.......I know.........I'm being silly haha!!!! Anyway....thank you again!!!! And don't forget.....if the Keane withdrawal gets too much.....you know where I am!!!!! I will do all I can to help you!!!

Angie xxxx

Your whole life lies ahead...Its just around the bend...
  • 01-26-2013 8:09 AM In reply to

All right, I'm about a week late in writing this up but let's see what I can remember.

I booked a hotel that was only a couple of blocks from the Midland, and spent most of Sunday morning walking around and scoping out the area. I had only been to one Keane concert before, and that one was in May of 2009, so my expectation was that people would start queueing very early, like they had years ago. I suppose I failed to take into account just how cold it was, because no one was lining up for the longest time. I kept popping in and out of my hotel to warm up, but finally around mid-afternoon I decided to get ready and head that way. Back in 2009 I had lined up early but then popped out of the queue to get some sushi, and ended up completely missing the guys before the show. I didn't know what to expect this time. But it turned out to be almost serendipitous. As I walked up the side street I saw Keane's tour bus there, and when I approached Richard stuck his head out of the bus! There were already three other women standing there and when I saw him I ran up just in time for him to offer us all a cup of tea. Of course, we all accepted. So a few minutes later Richard stuck his head back out and gave us each a cup of tea to help warm us up. We all got our picture taken with him, then stood around and chatted for the next few hours as we waited for the other guys to pass through.

Jesse came back a while later from checking out some of the local shops, and we got pictures with him. After quite a while Tom came out of the theatre and we asked him for pictures too. By the time Tim came around it was getting pretty dark and absolutely freezing. There were some people milling around at the front of the building, but still only a half-dozen or so of us who were back by the tour bus. We talked to Tim for a little while, then ran inside to warm up in the bar. I had read online that the bar gave priority entry to ticket holders inside, and sure enough. A smaller queue started forming inside the bar itself at around 6:30 PM, and at 6:50 PM they pushed us all through security first. I ended up getting a spot on the front row, directly across from Tim. It was incredible! By that time I was already so overwhelmed by my good luck I probably could have died happy right then and there.

The show was incredible. It was everything I remembered from my first experience back in 2009 and then some. I don't think the energy of the room was quite like it was in Chicago, but I felt a lot more connected just from having met and spoken to everyone beforehand, and for getting a spot on the front row. I feel like I noticed so much more, too. The little glances that all the guys exchanged with one another, for example. There were a few points where Tim and Tom looked at each other right in the middle of a song and started to crack up. And I know there were a few songs Jesse and I locked eyes afterwards. I'd scream and he'd laugh and grin at me, or give me a big encouraging nod to make me scream even louder. It just seemed like everyone was having such a good time, and I'm thankful to have had that experience.

My pictures didn't turn out nearly as well as I would have hoped, but I'll share a few anyway.

richardme

keane2

keane4

keane6

keane16

keane27

keane25

keane13

keane12
  • 01-27-2013 1:16 AM In reply to

Thank you so much everyone for the kind words about the photos and reviews...I really do enjoy sharing them with you all, so I'm happy to see that you all felt like you were there with me and enjoyed them too! 

Yes anouk23, you HAVE to see them live!!  Don't worry too much about the singing with them part - I've always found that the music/crowd is loud enough that you can't really pick out any single person's singing (besides Tom's of course) unless they are being VERY loud!  Tom always encourages the crowd to sing along anyways, so I think they really do want you to and would feel bad if you didn't!!  It's also a huge part of the fun, being able to sing along with the songs with people who know and love the songs as much as you do! 

Jules and Tracey, I don't think I ever got warm that night, even once we were standing inside, but YES it was all worth it! Smile   

Angie, I hadn't noticed that about the one photo only showing the angela part of Strangeland!!  It IS a sign that you will get to see them someday, and no I don't think that's stupid at all! Smile  So sorry the watermark on the photos, especially the one you like the best, kind of interfere!!  Maybe I could try to email or send the file to you without the watermark on it, if you want??     

• 01-27-2013 3:21 PM In reply to

Hi Kari_Keane11 sorry this is late, thank you so much for such a brilliant review and the photos. I do like Tom's look for that gig, sleeves rolled up as well!  I do like his hair short as well though I also like it longer as he had it for the photo in the Strangeland lyrics book, I'm sure several of you know which photo I mean.  I'm so sorry Kari, here's you posting a wonderful review and pics and here's me going on about Tom's image lol!  I'm thrilled you enjoyed yourself! 

Helen

• 01-28-2013 4:12 AM In reply to

tralfamadore, thanks so much for your great review!! It sounds like you had an awesome time!! There's nothing like being that close to them, is there? I was in the second row in Minneapolis and it was just incredible!! I loved the looks the guys gave each other, too!! And omg, how SWEET is Richard?? He's just nicest guy!!! Thanks for sharing your pictures, they're fantastic!

There's no map to guide our way
  • 01-28-2013 4:44 AM In reply to

Miklyssary - Thanks so much! It was an incredibly experience. I still can't believe how everything worked out so perfectly. And come to think of it, Kari, I think you're the person I approached after the show to ask if I could take a picture of their setlist! Haha.
  • 01-28-2013 8:39 AM In reply to

What lovely photos you've got here! thank you so much for sharing especially capturing Tim in all  his glory.....i'm dying once again........LOL Embarrassed
    Each heart is a paper kite blown around by the breeze
    Love won't rest till it brings you to your knees
    Some find it easy, some will never even know......
Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >