in

Research on Keane and the English language in Latin America

Last post 12-21-2012 2:55 PM by Etech. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-03-2012 8:24 PM

• Etech
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-20-2012
    • the Netherlands
    • Posts 4

Research on Keane and the English language in Latin America

Hi everyone, I'm currently working on an assignment for English, which involves writing a specific text type about a topic that has to do with the English language and culture.
    I chose to write a fan letter to Keane, about a fan who has learned English and has become interested in England because of the band.
    I chose to set the text in a Latin American context, because I know Keane is very popular in those countries, and I figured that would have some influence on the people there.

So, what I am asking of you: if you live in a non-English speaking country (preferably in Latin America, but elsewhere is fine too), could you tell me if listening to Keane's music and being involved in the community around the band has affected your skill and interest in the English language?

I'm from the Netherlands, and even though I already started bilingual education in English before I got to know Keane, they did make me more interested in the United Kingdom, the English language, music and the rest of British culture. I cannot rely on just personal experiences, however, so I would appreciate it a lot if you could help me.

And does anyone know why Keane, or other English bands, are so popular in South America? I once read/heard somewhere that it had to do with a popular singer who made music in the same style, or something like that. It might be something that has to do with culture?
    It would be great if any of you would have reliable sources on this.

It would really mean a lot to me if I could get a few stories to include as sources for my assignment. I need to hand in the first draft on Thursday (December 6), but replies after that are appreciated as well.

• 12-04-2012 10:08 AM In reply to

Re: Research on Keane and the English language in Latin America

You might do better to ask one of the fan sites or groups on Twitter. Check out who @keaneofficial are following as they generally follow fansite accounts. Something like @TFPS might be good to tweet if you want contact with fans from Latin America. 

Take it back; don't let it die
  • 12-04-2012 10:33 PM In reply to

Hi Etech.

I live in Portugal, not in latin America, but it's a non-English speaking country.

In Portugal, we watch lots of movies with Ensligh language and Portuguese subtitles. And we hear lots of foreign music. We hear so much foreign music in Portugal that (to get an idea) the law provides that the radios play between 25% and 40% of Portuguese music (that's because the music in English is what is played the most)

Well, I learned English at school for 7 years (from 5th to 11th grade), but it was never the subject I liked the most. What I can say is that listening to English music and trying to sing along makes me understand the English better. I can say that, being a Keane fan, I improved my English in so many ways! I try to understand interviews and the posts on the boards. To post here, I have to do it in English.

And yes, just like you, Keane make me be even more interested in British culture than I was before.

For example, who, being a Keane fan, wouldn't be delighted to know Bexhill and the Sovereign Light Cafe? I remember that I read somewhere a snippet about Bexhill being more visited since the release of Strangeland, but unfortunately I can't remember where I read that! On the blog of keane Portugal you can read:

"Since the song Sovereign Light cafe appeared, during the Perfect Symmetry tour, when it was played a few times, there was an overwhelming desire to visit this place one day ... after the video was released that will became increasingly strong and it was then that we decided to include this tour on our adventure in Britain!" (http://keaneportugal.blogspot.pt/2012/06/review-brixton-londres-strangeland-tour.html)

If you need me to translate a bit more of that post, please tell me.

• 12-05-2012 7:27 PM In reply to

• Etech
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-20-2012
    • the Netherlands
    • Posts 4

Hi Brisa, thank you so much for your reply! Your story does help me out. I read the Google translation of the blog post, it's interesting, but the part that you already translated will do for my assignment.

And Justanotherdawm, thanks for the tip! I'll tweet to TFPS and other fan Twitters to get some more stories.

• 12-05-2012 10:19 PM In reply to

You're welcome, Etech.

After posting, I remembered of an old topic about Sovereign Light Cafe locations. I don't know if it helps in any way, but here it goes: http://forum.keanemusic.com/t/21726.aspx.

And I remembered of this official website's topic as well, with lots of messages from the fans: http://www.keanemusic.com/archive-comment.php?rnd=kgnowxKlWY1zQX2tfHm1lqdC9FDp3q8oaSfhuehcFQI%3D

I think that both show how Keane fans are interested in knowing the Sovereign Light Cafe and Bexhill, just because of Keane music!

And <i found the article I told you about! It's from Bexhill Observer, I think it's a reliable sourc! http://www.bexhillobserver.net/news/bexhill-news/thank-you-for-the-music-1-3905629

I hope it helps! Good Work!

• 12-21-2012 2:55 PM In reply to

• Etech
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-20-2012
    • the Netherlands
    • Posts 4

Thanks, Brisa! I'm definitely going to write something on Bexhill and the Sovereign Light Café!

Anyway, I am working on the assignment right now, but I can't seem to find anything on Keane's popularity in Latin America.
    So, if anyone from South America reads this, why are you a fan of Keane? How did you get to know them? Do you have many friends who like their music? And do you know why?

The final hand-in date is quite late, so any replies are still welcome.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)