in

Any Moonrise Kingdom fans?

Last post 03-05-2013 4:42 PM by sustained.. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-25-2013 2:46 AM

Any Moonrise Kingdom fans?

I was smitten by this movie, just as I was when I discovered Keane. I lived in Sam's world around his age, it was all scouts and campfires and compasses and pocketknives - and a crush on a girl I never could talk to. One day I swore I would pack up all my things on my bike and ride to the mountains of New Hampshire.

Anyway, I made a mashup of scenes from Moonrise Kingdom along with "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine" that I hope you might enjoy - and I hope it is OK to post here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOMTNZz0udI

My castle hollow and cold
  • 02-25-2013 11:53 PM In reply to

Re: Any Moonrise Kingdom fans?

I'm so glad I glanced down and saw this thread. I loved this movie (watched it several times, in fact) and the "sets"  were charming, almost as much as the two young people ~ they were spot on. 

You are so lucky to have been a youth in New England - I have bothered my husband for years to move us to Maine - now I'm on a Wyoming kick.

I'll check out your video!

Jennifer 

"...to remain silent and indifferent is the greatest sin of all..." ~ Elie Wiesel
  • 02-26-2013 5:40 PM In reply to

Your video is brilliant - well done! I did not know Keane had covered that tune. It (your video + their cover) captured the emotion perfectly - youth, pain, beauty and innocence.
    "...to remain silent and indifferent is the greatest sin of all..." ~ Elie Wiesel
  • 02-26-2013 7:43 PM In reply to

This movie is on my to-watch list.

I grew up in Southeastern Connecticut, with family on Cape Cod, New Hampshire, and Maine, so the setting speaks to me.

@FakeeEtiquette: It is appropriate to beg [famous musicians] to come to your city,
    as their final decisions are usually based on online groveling.

Di Tweets: twitter.com/Dionysia8 (serious-ish stuff)
    Di Tumbls: dionysia8.tumblr.com (Keane captions)
  • 02-27-2013 1:21 AM In reply to

Thanks for the replies, really glad you liked it. This movie plays out in a way that a select group can really relate to - and leaves a bunch of others puzzled about the "hype." Kind of like Keane music :)

My castle hollow and cold
  • 03-01-2013 6:36 PM In reply to

Dionysia, I hope you had a wonderful childhood growing up in such beautiful locales. Also, would you comment on the following. 

In my mind's eye I had an idea of what life would be like in Maine - slow-paced (or at least where I wanted to live), salt of the earth type people who knew what was/is important. However, I have shared this over the last couple of decades with people from New England and they have told me that if you are not born there then you are really never welcomed. What do you think? Of course, I was told that the winters can be deadly too. 

I grew up with the Gulf of Mexico and white sand. Yes, and hurricanes too! Which was great when I was a teenager and young adult (not the hurricanes) but when you settle down and add children to the mix - I longed for wide open spaces for them and me too!  

• 03-01-2013 9:38 PM In reply to

Hi Sustained -

I'm really the wrong person to ask, though I wouldn't be surprised if what you assume is accurate.  I grew up in Southeastern CT in the coastal suburbs.  A lot of the people who lived there were neither "Old Money New Englanders" (if you know what I mean) or "Salt of the Earth farmers."  We had a lot of professionals, Navy families, and blue-collar manufacturing folks.  We were halfway between Boston and New York City.

My dad's aunt and uncle lived in Maine and that side of the family is originally from New Hampshire.  They emigrated from England in the mid-1600s and were farmers. We affectionately refer to my grandmother's side of the family as the New Hampshire Yankees. *laugh*  Old family names you might recognize.

Anyway, the area in Maine they lived in had (and still has today) a fairly healthy summer and tourist population, being on the ocean, so they were used to outsiders. We never felt unwelcome, then again, my great-aunt and great-uncle were well-respected and just from "Ova Theah" (New Hampshire).  My dad's cousin and his wife retired to the same small town.

/Di's family history ;)

@FakeeEtiquette: It is appropriate to beg [famous musicians] to come to your city,
    as their final decisions are usually based on online groveling.

Di Tweets: twitter.com/Dionysia8 (serious-ish stuff)
    Di Tumbls: dionysia8.tumblr.com (Keane captions)
  • 03-05-2013 4:42 PM In reply to

Di,

Thank you for your reply!

Jennifer 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)